Just being ME




Please say hello ... I love comments!



07/12/2007



a very vintage 1960s christmas ...

I love this picture of me with my dad, brother, granny and mum, spoon in mouth with great anticipation for either trifle or Christmas cake, no change there then. This picture was taken at G and Bant's house (don't ask) in December 1968, looking back they were doting grandparents and as they only lived about a mile or so away, my brother and I would spend many a Saturday morning with them. Talking of trifles, my grannys were legendary, they were always set on a slant, we tried telling her many times that her fridge shelf must be unlevel, would she listen?



No Nintendo Wii's here, it is really difficult to focus in on what presents we had, but I am sure we loved them whatever. My grandparents always had a real Christmas tree, I bet those needles got stuck in my woolly tights! Oh, I've just noticed the colour of my brother's hat has changed, I suppose he didn't want to wear one the same as his little sis?



Brother and sister arguments, not around Granny's Christmas table, my brother and I were taught how to share and we were very good at it. Look at us in the picture sharing a Tom Smith's cracker or two?

Thanks everyone, some great comments, and funny ones on this post! I have so many happy memories from my childhood growing up in the 60s/70s, there are too many to mention, seems like you all have happy ones from yours too. I hope everyone will find some time to dig out some memories from their past caught on film, I for one would be really interested in seeing them. Remember Ker Plunk, Tressy and Sindy, Fuzzy Felts, Yoyos and boiled sweets? Many of you make trifles (even wonky ones) over the Christmas period, you're in good company, so do I!

11 comments:

Bev and Ollie "O" said...

oooh I love Christmas piccies, I really should dig some of my old ones out when I go to my mums.

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

You certainly cut a dash in your frock..
I love your description of your grandma's trifle... pure magic... made me laugh so much now I am having a coughing fit! All your fault!!!!
Michelex
P.s Maybe the house had subsidence?

Jane said...

Or maybe Grannie had a wee too much of the sherry that went into the trifle!

closed account said...

Looks like you had a great xmas day, Oh all those memories, now you've got me started(tears of joy stremaing down my face)....we just didn't realise how lucky we were in the 60's as kids, as you said no playstation or Wi games there, we were just happy with Ker Plunk, or Tressy or Sindy dolls..
I am off to the attic to get ou the old photos..
You and your brother look great together, so happy, maybe you pulled his hat off!!! and he had to get another one !!thanks for the photo and the memories that you hve brought back to me..

Anonymous said...

What lovely memories of Christmas these photos must bring! Now I want to dig through old photos! Have a great weekend! ~ hugs, Lynda xo

Anonymous said...

We didn't need any Nintendo Wii's back then! We loved our fuzzy felts and bags of boiled sweeties and I don't know about you but I always got at least one yo-yo! I have to point out that in 1968 I wasn't born! ;o) although I was imminent! :o)
This is lovely! I have a picture somewhere of my dad and my brother sat behind the dinner table on Christmas morning. My dad has a pair of earphones on that look like a pair of tin cans and my brother has a grin like a cheshire cat! Both wearing hats!

Carol said...

I make trifle for Christmas....another family tradition passed down! got to have sherry in it.
Your pictures are lovely, you both look very cuddly in your jumpers!
Carol xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Louise, what wonderful photos...you look so cute. Pleasures seem very simple then, compared with now. I had wonderful Christmases as a child, although being brought up on a farm meant the animals always came first. We always had a really good present off Santa as well as a stocking full. My best was a three wheeler bike when I was 4...I've never forgotten the excitement. Gosh I'm getting carried away here! I'm sure Noreen had great Christmases too...must ask her about them.
Margaret and Noreen

The Nostalgia Fairy said...

Gorgeous photo's Louise, they bring back memories of my childhood Christmases. Much more innocent too I think. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Sandi x

ginny said...

Hi Louise,
Your photos are a reminder of what is important to me at Christmas...family time, sharing, laughter, wonky trifles.. all things for good memories. 1968 was my very first Christmas(although i can't remember it)... My sisters and i always got a Christmas dress and often a nightdress too. I have similar photos of us all wearing our paper crowns and some in our very 70's Christmas attire. Thank you so much for this nostalgic post.. your blogs are brilliant.
Wishing you a wonderful Christmas.
Ginny
xx

Joanna said...

I have lovely memories of my grandmas on saturday mornings and christmas at grandmas. Lovely pictures lucky you having a brother to share with. My brother is ten years younger than me, we share know of course but when I was little there was just me. Which had its benefits and partly why I probably emused myself with drawing so much and my sindys, never had daisy.